Indian Masala Chaas (मसाला छाछ) also known as Spiced Buttermilk is a healthy drink which is made from yogurt, spices/ herbs and water. This Indian buttermilk is full of goodness due to its health benefits, and is a brilliant coolant during summer / hot days.
Spiced Butter Milk – Masala Chaas Recipe | YourFoodFantasy.com
Masala chaas is perfect beverage in hot weather and you can vary ingredients as per your taste. I am sharing the proportions that I use and have been liked by my guests (and of course myself).
Spiced Butter Milk Recipe – Masala Chaas | Your Food Fantasy
Idea of buttermilk is that I get to eat yogurt. Yogurt is one thing that is loved by my whole family. Sometimes we take it in various forms of raita, e.g. mix vegetable raita, boondi raita, cucumber raita, etc.
Apart from its cooling effect, buttermilk gives a very refreshing feeling, and is good for digestion too. Here I am going to share detailed step by step masala chaas / indian buttermilk recipe.
As much as buttermilk is good during summer, I can have it in any season:) In case you are wondering what you can have specifically in winter, you may like to try out this warm almond milk.
Below is the detailed and quick recipe of Masala chaas
Let’s get to the recipe of masala chaas.
Masala Chaas | Indian Buttermilk Recipe
- 1.5 Cup Yogurt
- 2.5 Cup Cold Water
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Grated
- 1 Teaspoon Roasted cumin powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Salt
- Salt As Per Taste (Note there is already black salt added too)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1 Teaspoon Black Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 Teaspoon Oil
- 1/5 Teaspoon Asafoetida
- 8-10 Curry leaves
- Chopped Coriander Leaves For Garnishing (Optional)
- Whisk together yogurt and water until smooth. Add chopped chillies, grated ginger, black salt, black pepper powder and cumin powder to it. Mix well.
- Heat a small pan/ladle on slow flame and add oil to it. Add asafoetida, curry leaves and mustard seeds to it. Add this tempering to whisked yogurt and mix well.
- Keep it in the fridge and serve chilled with chopped coriander garnishing.
- You can add dry roasted curry leaves, mustard seeds and asafoetida in case you don’t want to add oil based tempering.
You may also like to try other summer drinks like raw mango drink, as well as masala shikanji.