Masala Shikanji or Shikanjvi is a famous and traditional Indian version of lemonade mainly served in northern part of india.
It derives its name “Masala Shikanji” due to the presence of masala or spices which make this sweet and salty lemony drink differ from normal lemonade. It has got many health benefits as its a rich source of vitamin C thereby helps you feel refreshing, re-energised and also helps in digestion.
It’s one the easiest summer drink which can be made in a jiffy and is loved by all.
Though this is a traditional summer drink, you can have it in any season, and almost anytime of the day. Best when its hot and you are thirsty.
To prepare Masala Shikanji for 2 people/portions, the ingredient you would need are:
- 2 medium size lemon
- 1 glass water
- 1 glass soda/7 up/Sprite
- 1 tablespoon sugar or as required
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala / jaljeera masala (For people outside India this is easily available in Indian grocery store)
- 1/4 teaspoon rock salt / black salt or as per your taste
- 4-5 mint leaves for garnishing and added flavour
- Few ice cubes
- Take half glass water and dissolve sugar in it. And cut thin wedges of one Lemon.
- Now take a big jug and put some crushed mint leaves and lemon wedges in it. Pour that sweet water and plain water in it.
- With a lemon juice squeezer, squeeze the juice of one lemon directly into the jug.
- Add black salt, chaat masala/Jaljeera masala, cumin powder and stir.
- Now add ice cubes and pour soda/7 up/Sprite in it.
- Serve and enjoy…🙂
Tip: If you don’t want your Shikanji to be sweet, just skip the sugar and follow rest of recipe
Tip: If you don’t want your shikanji to be sweet, just skip the sugar and follow rest of recipe