Almond milk or Badam milk is a nutritious and wholesome Indian drink made from mainly almonds and milk which can be fed to any age group whether it’s 1 year or 101 year.. Almonds are meant to be a good source of protein and vitamins which helps in brain development.This milk is definitely a very healthy recipe from Middle ages. Drink a glass of badam milk in morning and you will have all the energy to last the day long. During summer you can have it chilled and in winters you can sip it hot.
To make 4 servings of almond / badam milk you would need:
1)Almonds – 1 cup( I got 35 almonds in my cup)
2)Milk – 1 litre
4)Pistachios – 5
5)Green Cardamom -2
6)Saffron – few strands
7)Sugar – 2 tablespoon
8)Mace powder – 1 pinch
- Soak 30 almonds in warm water for 1-2 hour so that they are soft and can be peeled easily.
- Take milk in a heavy bottom pan and keep it on medium to high flame. After first boil,simmer the flame and let it cook for 15 minutes.
- Peel the soaked almond and take out 5 almonds from them and grind the rest 25 in to a thick fine paste. Finely chop these 5 almonds which can be used for garnishing in the end.
- Take Cashews, Pistachios, 5 almonds,cardamom, mace powder and 2-3 strands of saffron in a mixie jar and grind them to fine powder.
- Now add almond paste and saffron strands to the milk and let it cook.
- Add 2 tablespoon of that powdered nuts and cook the milk for 10 more minutes.
- Now switch off the flame and your almond milk is ready.
- Serve it hot or cold depending upon your choice. Whilst serving garnish milk with soaked chopped almonds and dry nuts powder.
Tip: Grind smooth both soaked almonds and dry nuts as it can change the texture if not grounded properly.
Adjust sugar according to your taste.