Baby corn is one such thing that can gel well with any cuisine, be it Indian, Chinese or anything from West. Baby corn has host of benefits, like it is low in calories, and has less carb when compared with normal corn. Baby corn has large fibre contents, which is good for lowering risk of heart diseases and type 2 diabetes. A 1/2-cup serving offers 4 percent of the daily value for vitamin A and iron, and 2 percent of the daily value for vitamin C. Sharing this Baby Corn Masala, a creamy gravy based recipe, which I would say is derived from my experiment with North Indian Cuisine.
More than me, my partner, Kapil is a baby corn lover. This recipe of baby corn is not only tasty, it is vegan and gluten free too.
This recipe of Baby Corn Masala is ready in minutes and does not need host of ingredients. The way I have made this is divided in two parts.
1) Making the gravy
2) Cooking Baby corn and Green Peas (optional) in the gravy.
In case you like baby corns, you will surely like to try out Baby Corn Satay, an easy snack / starter for any event.
If you like offbeat vegetables, try these:
Let me now take you straight to detailed step by step recipe of vegan baby corn masala. Serve this hot with rice, chapatti or Naan.
Baby Corn Masala
- 200 Grams Baby Corn
- 1-2 Bayleaves
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 2 Tomatoes Chopped
- 2 Onions Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste Can also use fresh Ginger and Garlic
- 12 Cashews
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 2 Green chillies To Taste
- 100 Grams Green Peas Optional
- 3 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Salt To Taste
- 2 Cloves Optional
- Let's start with preparing the gravy first. For this, add 2 table spoon of oil and once its hot, add onion. Once onion is little brownish, add cloves, ginger garlic paste and saute, add coriander power, lastly add chopped tomatoes. Let this cook for 3-4 mins.
- Now take this out in a blender, and add green chillies along with cashews.
- Grind this to a smooth paste.
- Now place clean pan back on heat, and add 1 tablespoon of oil. Once oil is hot, add cumin seeds and let it crackle. Subsequently add bayleaves..
- Now pour the smooth gravy from blender into the pan.
- Add washed and clean baby corn in this gravy, reducing the heat to low-medium setting.
- Add green peas now. I have used frozen peas, but you can use fresh peas and salt.
- Let this cook for about 5-7 mins on low heat. Baby Corn Masala is ready.
- Be careful when blending, as contents would be hot.
- Try using fresh green pea for better taste.
- You can add 1 tablespoon cream in the gravy to smoothen it further and it also adds to taste.