Masala Drumstick or Spicy Drumsticks is a north indian recipe which can be cooked with simple ingredients and tastes awesome. Scientific named Moringa Oleifera, also known as Sahjan ki Phali in Hindi, or murungakkai down in southern part of India.You may have already heard it being added to sambhar. Below is my recipe for making Masala Drumstick.
These drumsticks are full of nutrients. Being particularly high in vitamin C, they are also a good source of dietary fiber, potassium, magnesium, and manganese.
An easy to make dish which goes perfectly well with Dal and rice and turns the regular meal into nothing less than fantastic.
Prepration time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Fresh Drumsticks – 10
- Onion – 1 medium sized
- Grated Ginger – 1 teaspoon
- Green chilli – 2(finely chopped)
- Asafoetida – 1/3 teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon or as per your taste
- Red Chilli powder – 1/3 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Dried Mango Powder/Amchur – 1/2 teaspoon
- Garam Masala – 1/3 teaspoon
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- First of all, Peel, rinse and chop the drumsticks into 3-4 inch pieces.
2. Take a Pan/Kadhai and put oil into it and keep it on medium flame. When oil is warm, add asafoetida and cumin seeds. Once they crackle, add chopped onion and saute till its pinkish brown in colour.
3. Then add chopped green chillies and grated ginger and saute again for few seconds. Now add all the spices except garam masala and roast for a minute.
4. Add chopped drumsticks and mix well. Now add 4 tablespoon of water to it. Cover the pan with lid and keep the flame to low.
5. Cook it for 10-12 minutes until they are tender and well cooked.
6. Open the lid and roast for 1 more minute. Add garam masala and switch off the flame.
7. Masala Drumstick is ready. Serve Hot and enjoy with Dal and rice of your choice or simply with phulka roti.
- You can adjust spice level as per your taste.
- You can also add tomatoes to it. Chop 2 medium sized tomatoes and add to the mixture after roasting all the spices. Once tomatoes are soft and mushy then add chopped drumsticks and cook as given in recipe.
- Don’t add too much water while cooking drumstick and don’t overcook them otherwise they will be mushy.