Spring onion curry / Green Onion curry or Hare Pyaz ki Sabji is a simply and easy Indian recipe made from spring onions and potatoes. Spring onions has many health benefits, not only does it reduces the blood cholesterol levels but also reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. The vitamin C in this vegetable also boost the immunity. A spicy vegetarian dish, having the right mix of taste and flavours makes this recipe a great side dish.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 – 20 minutes
- Spring Onion – 3 Bunch (5 stems in one bunch, so total 15 stems)
- Potato – 2 medium sized
- Red Onion – 1 small sized
- Green Chilli – 2 (finely chopped)
- Grated ginger – 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida – 1/4 teaspoon
- Carom Seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli Powder – 1/3 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Dried Mango Powder / Amchur – 1/3 teaspoon
- Garam Masala – 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil – 1.5 tablespoon
- Wash the spring onion thoroughly and chop the green leafy part separately and the white onion separately. Peel the skin of potato and dice them up. Similar finely chop Red onion as well.
2. Take oil in a Pan / kadhai and heat it on medium heat. Once warm, add asafoetida and carom seeds. Once they brown, add chopped red onion and white onion and saute till they translucent. Add chopped chillies and grated ginger and saute for one minute.
3. Now add all the spices except garam masala and roast till it leaves oil. Add green chopped spring onions and potatoes. Mix them well and cover the kadhai/Pan with lid. Keep the flame to low-medium now. Let it cook for 10 minutes.
4. Open the lid and saute once again and now cook for 2-3 minutes without covering lid so that excess water is all dried up. Add garam masala and switch off the flame.
5. Serve Hot and Enjoy with Dal, Rice and Chapati/Phulka.
- You can use any vegetable/seeds oil to cook this, however it tastes best when cooked in Mustard oil.
- Do not add any water, as being a green vegetable it looses water on its own while cooking.
- You can add tomatoes as well to this dish. Simply add them chopped after cooking your onions and before adding potatoes and green onions.