The history of sweets dates back to more than thousands of years. Kaju pista roll (काजू पिस्ता रोल) is an indian sweet / mithai recipe prepared from powdered cashews and pistachios. These elongated rolls looks absolutely delicious, which make them perfect for festivals like Diwali, Holi or any other celebration.
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Cooking time : 5 minutes
Serving : 16 (pieces)
- Cashew nuts – 2 cup
- Icing Sugar/Powdered sugar – 1 cup
- Pistachios – 1.5 cup
- Condensed milk – 1 cup
- Desi Ghee / Clarified Butter – 2 tablespoon
- Cardamom Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Green colour – 1/2 teaspoon
- Kewra Essence – 4 drops
- Silver Vark – 3 sheets(optional)
First of all, grind the cashews and pistachios separately in a dry mixer for 1 minute. Sieve the powder to get rid of any big chunk left behind.
Place a non stick pan over medium flame and add 1.5 tablespoon desi ghee or clarified butter. Once it melts add condensed milk. Stir continuously for 30 seconds to combine together.
Add cashew nut powder. Cook the mixture on slow heat, keep stirring for 3-4 minutes until the mixture starts to leave edges of pans and forms into dough.
Once mixture comes together turn off flame and keep stirring for a minute, allowing it to cool. Once its luke warm, take it out in a plate and add 1/4 tablespoon of clarified butter to it. Start kneading it well to make smooth dough.
Now take pistachios powder in a large mixing bowl and add icing sugar/powdered sugar. Add green food colour and 1/4 tablespoon clarified butter to it and mix well to form a dough with the help of few water drops.
Now both cashew nut dough and pistachios dough are ready. Divide the cashew dough and pistachios dough into 4 portions. Take a butter paper and grease some butter on it. Place one portion of cashew dough on it and cover it with another piece of greased butter paper. Roll the cashew dough into thin circle of 4 inch diameter with the help of a rolling pin.
Now shape one portion of pista dough into a stick and place them over the cashew sheet. Start rolling them and pinch the edges. Smooth the roll and cut roll into 4 pieces.
Repeat same process for rest of the 3 portions. Garnish them with silver vark.
- Cashews and pistachios should be at room temperature at the time of grinding. If you keep nuts in Fridge, take them out in advance and make sure that they are at room temperature. Otherwise they will not loose moisture while grinding and you won’t get the dry powder of nuts.
- Grind the cashews in one stretch, till it turns into fine powder. Don’t stop in between.
- Don’t add too much water while making dough from Pistachios powder. You will only need 4-5 drops, so be careful while adding.
- You can store kaju pista roll for about 10 days in an air tight container.