Mooli / Radish paratha (मूली के परांठे) is another favourite paratha recipe from the land of Punjab. It is yummy shallow fried stuffed Indian bread recipe, which uses stuffing prepared with grated Mooli / Radish and various other spices. Radish being diuretic in nature, improves the metabolism and digestion, and is really good for liver and kidneys, makes this tantalising recipe a very healthy and nutritious too.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 3 servings (6 pieces)
- Grated Radish – 3 cups
- Green chilli – 1 (finely chopped)
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder -1/3 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Garam Masala – 1/3 teaspoon
- Carom seeds – 1/3 teaspoon
- Roasted cumin powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
For paratha dough:
- Whole wheat flour – 1.5 cup + 1/4 cup for dusting
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Oil/Ghee for roasting the paratha
- First of all, grate the Mooli/Radish and squeeze it with the help of your hands to remove excess water. Keep this water to knead the dough. We will prepare the stuffing after kneading the dough.
2. Take 1.5 cup of wheat flour in a mixing bowl and add 1 teaspoon of oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt to it. Knead it to a smooth and soft dough using water squeezed from grated Mooli/Radish. You can add more normal water if required. Keep it aside and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Take a Pan and put it on medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to it. Once the oil is warm add carom seeds. Once they crackle add salt, red chilli powder, garam masala, turmeric powder and coriander powder and roast them for a minute. Now add grated and squeezed mooli, and chopped green chilli, and mix them properly. Let it cook for 5 minutes so that extra water evaporates. Switch off the flame and your stuffing is ready. Let it cool a little bit.
4. Divide the dough into 12 equal parts. Now take 1 part and make a round ball of it. Roll it with rolling pin into a 5-6 inch diameter circle. Keep it aside. Now take another part and again roll it into a circle of same size. Take 2 tablespoon of stuffing and spread it on this circle evenly. Now take the earlier rolled circle and layer it on top of the stuffing and seal the edges of both the circle together by pressing it on the edges with the help of your hand.
5. Heat a tava on medium flame and place a paratha on it. Flip it over after 2-3 minutes. Spread the oil on the surface and flip it again. Now spread oil on this side too and roast the paratha till its nicely cooked and roasted by flipping over few times.
- Do not keep stuffing mixture idle for too long after mixing all ingredients otherwise it may loose water and become difficult to make paratha.