Recently I tried Makhana Kheer, then I thought why not try out something different with Makhana / Lotus Seeds? My quest led me to try out these cutlets made from Makhana, something which I would call easy to make. A perfect starter for any day, and best you can have it during Navratri and whilst fasting. Below is my detailed step by step pictorial recipe of “Makhana Cutlet (मखाना कटलेट) or Lotus / Foxnut seeds cutlet”.
Makhane Ke Cutlet – Foxnut Seeds Cutlet Recipe
Makhana is well known for its health benefits, such as richness in fibre, low calories and good source of potassium, phosphorus, iron and zinc too. This only means when you make these cutlets you are somewhat guilt free 🙂
Makhane Ke Cutlet – Lotus Seeds Cutlet Recipe | YourFoodFantasy.com
When you observe fast next time, try out this recipe and you will find how filling these small cutlets can be and you never know you may just be wow’d by this 🙂
Makhane Ke Cutlet – Foxnut Seeds Cutlet Recipe | YourFoodFantasy.com
Key ingredients of this recipe are Makhana and boiled Potato, and that’s pretty much it.
Makhane Ke Cutlet | Lotus Seeds Cutlet
- 1 Cup Foxnut / Lotus seeds / Makhanas
- 2 Boiled Potatoes Medium Size
- 2 Green chillies Finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoon Fresh Coriander Leaves
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black pepper powder Can you Red Chillies if not fasting
- 1/2 Teaspoon Rock Salt As Per Taste (Can use Normal Salt if not fasting)
- 8-10 Piece Cashews
- 8-10 Piece Raisins
- 1 Tablespoon Buckwheat flour | Kuttu Aata
- Oil For Deep Frying
- Soak Makhana in one cup of water for 2 hours. After that, strain them in a strainer.
- In a mixing bowl/plate, grate/mash the boiled potatoes. Now add soaked Makhana, coriander leaves, Chopped green chillies, salt and black pepper powder.
- Mix it well with the help of your hands while mashing the Makhanas.
- Add Buckwheat flour and mix it well. This will help in binding the mixture.
- Divide the mixture into equal parts and make round balls of them. Take one round ball, flat it between your palm and make space in centre. Place 1 cashew and 1 raisin in it. Gather from all sides, seal it and make round ball again. Again press it in between your palm to make a round patty.
- Similarly you can make patty of all the round balls.
- Heat oil in a pan / kadhai over medium flame and deep fry them till they are nice golden in colour.
- Serve them hot and enjoy with mint Coriander chutney or yogurt or Masala chai.
- You can also use Rajgira flour to bind the mixture in place of Buckwheat flour.
- Stuffing cashews and Raisins in cutlet is purely optional. Similarly you can add any other dry fruit of your choice.
You may like to try Vada Paav, Aloo Tikki Chaat, Punjabi Samosa or Bread rolls from this recipe collection in case you want to try out common Indian snacks.
2 thoughts on “Makhane Ke Cutlet | Lotus Seeds Cutlet”
thanks. very very minute creatures have seen with makhana and since then trying to find a dish where they are (cleaned &) soaked. Finally found here where they need not be roasted.
Glad that you liked it 🙂