Shahi Paneer (शाही पनीर ) is a delicious North Indian preparation of succulent pieces of Cottage Cheese or Paneer that cooked in rich gravy of onion, tomatoes coupled with few cashews. This is a traditional recipe which has been followed from generations and has been mainstay preparation in Indian cuisine since the time of Mughals. It is simple and quick to make and is ready within 30 minutes, making it a perfect dish, which can impress everyone and anyone.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serving : 4-5
- Paneer / Cottage cheese – 350 grams
- Onions – 2 big sized
- Tomato – 3 big sized
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 Table spoon
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Cashew nuts – 15-20
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Kashmiri Red Chilli powder – 1/3 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1.5 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Cream – 4 tablespoons
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or As per your taste
- Oil – 1.5 tablespoon
- Fenugreek leaves / Kasuri Methi – 1 ta
- Cut the Paneer into cubes or triangles as per your choice. Chop onions and tomatoes separately. Soak cashews in Luke warm water for 10 minutes.
Take a Pan / Kadhai and put it on medium heat. Add oil and once it’s warm add cumin seeds. When they crackle, add chopped onion and soaked cashews and sauté till onions becomes translucent. Add ginger garlic paste now and sauté till the raw smell goes off.
3. Add salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder and Chilli powder and sauté for 1 more minute. Now add chopped tomato and cook them till the tomatoes are soft. Roast the mixture for 2 more minutes and switch off the flame.
4. Once the mixture is cooled down, transfer it into a grinding jar and grind it to a fine and smooth paste.
5. Transfer the paste into the same pan and put it in medium flame again.
6. Add cream and 1 cup of water to the paste and let it boil for few minutes.
7. Add paneer cubes, Cardamom powder, Garam masala powder and kasuri methi to it. Switch off the flame once you get the desired consistency of gravy.
- You can shallow fry Paneer cubes before adding into gravy.
- You can adjust the amount of cream as per your taste.
- Try getting fresh paneer for best taste. You can make it at home in few easy steps.