Vegetable Pulao / pulav or Pilaf (वेजीटेबल पुलाव) is one of the most common rice dish that is made in Indian homes very so often. Being among common dish on the menu for parties or celebrations, it is an easy one pot recipe in which rice are cooked with simple vegetables. As with any recipe, the success lies in how much your guests love it. This recipe of mine has always been popular for about a decade now.
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Cooking time : 25 minutes
Serving : 6
- Long grain basmati rice – 2 cup
- French beans(chopped) – 1/2 cup
- Green peas (fresh or frozen) – 1/2 cup
- Carrots (chopped) – 1/2 cup
- Onion (thinly sliced) – 2 (medium sized)
- Cumin seeds / Jeera – 1.5 teaspoon
- Bay leaves – 2
- Cloves – 2-3
- Black Cardamom – 2
- Cashews – 10-12
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice – 2 teaspoon
- Desi ghee/ Butter/ Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Water – 3 cup
- First of all, take the rice in a big bowl and wash them 3-4 times and then soak them for 30 minutes in enough water.
- Place a deep and heavy bottomed pan / Kadhai / Pot over medium heat and warm ghee/oil in it. Add cumin seeds, bay leaves, black cardamom and cloves in it and saute them for a minute.
- Now add the onions and saute them till translucent. Add all the veggies and saute again for 5 minutes.
- Drain the water from the soaked rice and add them to the pan. Saute gently for 2 minutes so that everything mixes well.
- Add Water and lime juice. Cover the pan with lid and keep the heat to low. Let it cook till all the water is absorbed and rice are nice soft. You can adjust amount of water if rice is not done yet.
- Once the rice grains are cooked, switch off the flame, fluff them and cover the lid again. Let them stand for 5-7 minutes.
- Serve the veg pulao hot either with Dal or curry of your choice Or you can simply relish it with salad, Raita, Pickle and Mint coriander chutney.
- You can cook the pulao in pressure cooker as well. Just increase quantity of water by 1 cup and cook till 2 whistle blows.
- You can add Soya chunks if you like your pulao that way.