Kadhai paneer is a North Indian dish and very famous amongst paneer lovers. This can be made either dry or semi dry and is really easy to make which don’t involve much hassle.
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20-25 minutes
Serving : 6-8
1) Paneer – 250 gram (cut into cubes)
2) Capsicum/ Bell pepper
3) Onion – 4 medium size
5) Tomatoes – 4-5(chopped)
6) Green Chilli – 1-2
7) Freshly Grated Ginger – 1 tablespoon
8) Fresh grated garlic – 2/3 tablespoon
9) Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
10) Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
11) Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per your taste
12) Red Chilli powder – 1/3teaspoon
13) Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
14) Whole Coriander seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
15) Bay leaves – 2-3
16) Cloves – 3-4
17) Dried fenugreek leaves/Kasuri methi – 1 tablespoon
18) Asafoetida – 1/4 teaspoon
19) Unsalted Butter – 1 tablespoon
20) Oil – 3 tablespoon
21) Orange food colour – 1 pinch – Optional
22) Garam masala – 1/3 teaspoon
23) Chopped Coriander leaves for garnish
1) First of all, take a pan and add 2 cup of warm water. Add orange colour to the water and then add paneer cubes so that they can get orange coloured. This step is optional if you don’t want to add colour you can skip this step.
2) Now take 2 onions and all bell peppers and cut them into small pieces. Now take a pan/kadhai and put one tablespoon of oil and then add these onion and bell pepper to it. Sauté this till they get little soft and crunchy. It will take around 5-6 minutes. Now transfer them onto a plate.
3) Now in the same pan add 2 tablespoon of oil and add asafoetida. Now add cumin seeds, bay leaves, cloves, coriander seed and sauté. Once they brown add 2 chopped onions.
4) When onion turns pinkish brown add ginger and garlic and sauté till raw smell goes off. Now add all spices mentioned above and sauté till they ooze oil. Then add chopped tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
5) Now add paneer cubes and sauté onion and bell pepper and mix. Add butter and Kasuri methi and cook with the lid on for 5-6 minutes.
6) Kadhai paneer is ready to be dished. Don’t forget to garnish with coriander leaves.
Key notes :
Sautéing of bell pepper and onion is optional. However it helps in giving a nice texture to the dish.