Navratri is about to commence hence here is something that one can prepare much earlier and has long life. Owing to the belief of having only “Falahaar” during Navratri, choices of desserts is fairly limited. However, Carrot Barfi is one such dessert, which can easily last for 10 days while kept refrigerated.
To make carrot barfi the ingredients you would need are:
1) Freshly grated carrot – 500 gram(2 cups)
2) Full cream milk – 250 ml(1 cup)
3) Khoya/mawa – 200 grams(2/3 cup)
4) Sugar – 250 gram (1 cup)
5) Grated cashews and almonds – 1/2 cup
6) Cardamom powder – 1 teaspoon
7) Clarified butter/Desi ghee – 2 tablespoon
8) Broken cashews – few for garnish
• Put a heavy bottom pan on medium flame on gas and add carrots to it. Put on the lid for 5 minutes, however giving a gentle stir once or twice in between.
• After 5 minutes add the milk to it and let the carrots cook in milk for 15-20 minutes. Keep stirring at regular intervals of time to avoid sticking of milk at bottom and sides of the pan.
•Now as the milk has evaporated, add sugar and keep on stirring till all the water evaporates and your carrot mixture come together.
• Add khoya, grated cashews and almonds at this stage and mix it well for 5 minutes.Now add Desi ghee to it and roast the mixture for 7-8 minutes until its dry and comes all together.
• Grease a tray with little ghee and put the carrot mixture in it and spread evenly with steel spatula. Let it cool for 2 hour and then cut them in desired shape and garnish the pieces with broken cashews.
- Add sugar gradually by checking for your desired sweetness.
- Your Mawa should be crumble and dry otherwise barfi would not set properly and remain sticky.