Bharwa Bhindi (भरवा भिन्डी) Recipe – Bhindi, also known as Okra or lady’s finger, is one of my favourite vegetable. This is one of the common vegetable found in India. However in UK its less so common (rarely found in Tesco or Waitrose) and I look forward to visiting Indian grocery stores where I stand more chance of getting fresh okra.
What is Bharwa Bhindi
Bharwa = stuffed, Bhindi = Okra or lady’s finger. When okra is stuffed with spices and cooked, its called bharwa bhindi. This recipe is from Indian Cuisine. Recipe involves slitting the okra and stuffing with spices. Spices used in stuffing is normally available in any pantry. This makes this recipe a simple one with minimal fuss.
I have grown up eating okra in my meal on regular basis and its even called queen of vegetables. At my home, it was made as side dish along with roti/ chappatti, lentils and rice, I still believe that is such simple and divine food.
Method to make Bharwa Bhindi
- Wash and pat dry bhindi thoroughly. Remove the crown and lower tip of the Okra (ladyfinger) and make a lengthwise slit in them and keep them aside.
- Take all the spices (coriander powder, fennel seed powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, dry mango powder, garam masala powder, salt, roasted gram flour) in a bowl and add 1 tablespoon of oil too. Mix it well and stuff this mixture in the okra.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan / kadhai and add the stuffed okra to it. Gently stir and cover the pan with a lid and let them cook on low-medium heat. After 7-8 minutes stir them again gently and cover again.
- After 4-5 minutes, open the lid and stir. Switch off the heat and stuffed okra is ready.
Okra is bit slimy and sticky, hence it can be little cumbersome when cutting, hence I make sure that after washing its properly dried, you may even air dry this or wash and leave for drying over night, if you are a careful kitchen planner, unlike me 😉
Pro Tips to make bharwa bhindi
- You must make sure okra is dry, else will feel sticky and slimy.
- Make this recipe on low heat.
- Turn okra in the pan every now and then to avoid it getting burnt.
- You can add other things in the stuffing too. e.g. desiccated coconut or crushed peanut powder.
This bharwa bhindi (or stuffed okra)
- Is Vegan (absolutely no cruelty involved)
- Easy to make
- Tastes delicious
Serve this bharwa bhindi with chapati or paratha.
If you love stuffed vegetables, you may like to try out
Other Okra recipes
Stuffed Bhindi Recipe – Bharwa Bhindi
- 500 Grams Bhindi / Okra
- 2 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 2 Teaspoon Fennel Seed Powder
- 1/3 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt As Per Taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dry Mango Powder / Amchur
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Dry Roasted Gram Flour / Besan Optional
- 2 Tablespoon Oil
- Wash and pat dry Bhindi thoroughly. Remove the crown and lower tip of the Bhindi and make a lengthwise slit in them and keep them aside.
- Take all the spices listed above in a bowl and add 1 tablespoon of oil too. Mix it well and stuff this mixture in the bhindi.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan/kadhai and add the stuffed bhindi to it. Gently stir and cover the pan with a lid and let them cook on low-medium heat. After 7-8 minutes stir them again gently and cover again.
- After 4-5 minutes, open the lid and stir, Switch off the heat. Transfer them to a bowl and serve them hot with paratha or phulka.
- You can replace dry roasted besan with crushed peanut powder.
- You can adjust the amount of spices according to your taste.