Samosa (समोसा) is a popular street food or snack of Northern India which don’t need any introduction. It’s crisp patties stuffed with spicy potato and pea filling.
There are many variety of filling which can be used to stuff in samosa , to make different types of samosas but nothing can beat the taste of original Punjabi style of potato samosa. Continue reading for “step by step recipe of making samosa from scratch”.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time : 25 minutes
Serving : 6-8
For pastry :
- All purpose flour/Maida – 2 cup
- Oil – 4 tablespoon
- Salt – 1/3 teaspoon
- Carom seeds/Ajwain – 1/4 teaspoon
- Luke warm water – 1/3 cup
For stuffing :
- Boiled potatoes – 4 medium sized
- Boiled Green peas – 4 tablespoon
- Green chilli – 2 finely chopped
- Fresh grated ginger – 1 tablespoon
- Broken cashews – 1 tablespoon (Optional)
- Raisins – 1 tablespoon (Optional)
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon or as per your taste
- Red chilli powder – 1/4 teaspoon (to your taste)
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Amchur powder – 1/3 teaspoon
- Asafoetida/Heeng – a pinch
- Garam masala – 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil – 1 tablespoon (for the filling)
- Oil to deep fry
Ingredients from Amazon for this recipe
Price: Check on Amazon
Take all purpose flour / maida in a mixing bowl and add oil, salt, carom seeds to it and knead it to a stiff dough with the help of Luke warm water. Cover the dough and let it rest for a while till we prepare stuffing.
Roughly mash the boiled potato. In a pan heat one tablespoon oil, add cumin seeds and once they crackle add green peas and chillies. Now add all the spices and boiled potato.
Mix them well and now add chopped cashews and raisins. Again mix it and switch off the flame and transfer the mixture into a bowl once cooled.
Now take the dough, again knead it for few minutes and divide it into 6 equal sized balls. Take one ball at a time and roll it into a circle of around 8-9 cm in diameter.
Cut the circle from middle and take one half circle. Apply little water on the edge and fold it to centre to make a conical shape. Now put 1.5 tablespoon of mixture into it and press and seal the edges.
Make rest of the samosa with the above step.
Once they are all ready, heat sufficient oil in a pan and deep fry all of them allowing 3-4 at a time till they nice crisp and golden brown in colour.
Serve hot and enjoy with mint coriander chutney, tamarind chutney and Masala chai…
- Deep fry on low heat, if fried on high flame, then they will be golden from outside only but will not be crisp and cooked properly from inside.
- You can add other vegetable of your choice along with potatoes to make a healthy version like chopped carrot and corn.
- For a healthy low fat version-you can bake samosa at 180 degree for about 30- 35 minute