Matar paneer (मटर पनीर) is a popular North Indian (originating in Punjab district) dish prepared with paneer and peas. Paneer (Cottage Cheese) pieces and green peas being cooked in onion-tomato gravy with spices and can be enjoyed with Poori, Naan, paratha or jeera rice. You can also add side dish of Raita and Poppadam to make it a full meal.
Preparation time : 15-20 minutes
Cooking time : 25-30 minutes
Serving : 3-4
- Fresh or Frozen Green Peas (matar) – 1 cup
- Paneer / Cottage cheese – 2/3 cup – diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- Onion – 2 medium size(finely chopped)
- Green Chilli – 1(finely chopped)
- Tomato – 3 medium size
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Heena / Asafoetida – 1/4 teaspoon
- Kitchen King powder/Sabji masala – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chilli Powder – 1/2 teaspoon or as per your taste
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon on as per your taste
- Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Butter – 1 teaspoon(optional)
- Chopped coriander for garnishing
- First of all put tomatoes in 1 cup of boiling water for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes take them out and peel the skin and then chop them.
- Now take a Kadhai / pan and put it on medium flame. Add 2 tablespoon of oil to it. When oil is warm add asafoetida / Heeng and cumin seeds to it. Once they brown add chopped onions and sauté.
- Once onions are translucent add ginger garlic paste to it and sauté. When they are cooked and raw smell goes off add chopped tomatoes and green chilli and sauté. Cover the lid and cook for 5 minutes. Now add all the spices/ dry masala and sauté until it start leaving oil.
- Now add peas/matar and paneer cubes to it and add 1.5 cup of water. Cover with lid again and cook for 10 minutes on slow-medium flame.
- After 10 minutes, open the lid and add butter to it. Sauté for 1 minute and switch off flame.
- Finally Garnish with coriander and serve 🙂
- You can shallow fry the paneer cubes before adding to gravy to give the dish restaurant looks, simply shallow fry them in 1 tablespoon oil in a non stick pan with both the sides of paneer turning golden brown.