Its full on apple season in the UK, and with no surprises apples are blooming at peak in September across many households, thanks to good UK weather and that it is common to find apple tree in backyard of many British homes.
I have only managed to plant an apple tree this year in my garden (and hoping that the tree will flourish over years to give good yield), however one of my good friend, Renu, who has got a mature apple tree. We were visiting her place recently and her mother-in-law (Gulshan Aunty), gave us a good supply of apples. Now that I had those few kgs of apples sitting with me, I was left with scratching head to figure out how to best use these apples.
Apple Strawberry Pockets | Your Food Fantasy
We were having family breakfast few days back eating croissants (and these basket full of apples which Renu gave, was kept on the dinning table), then my daughter asked, why don’t I use apple and make something like croissants? “Thank you, Aadya“, I said, she gave me great idea to get these Apple based parcels. I was little reluctant to have apples on its own, and that I know my family loves strawberries, I have used apples and strawberries as filling in my apple based pockets, however, I will encourage you to try out other fillings too (may be pears or apricots or anything which may suit your tastebuds).
Apple Strawberry Pockets | Apple recipes | YourFoodFantasy.com
As much as I want my food to be tasty, aim is also that it should be loved by all genres, from kids to adults, lest to forget that food needs to be not too cumbersome to make too (I agree some food requires detailed preparation, but not all).
So here is my simple recipe of apple & strawberry pockets (you may call these parcels), which is largely easy to make (it required oven, as these pockets are oven baked), and is ready in about 30mins.
Apple & Strawberry Parcels | Apple recipes | YourFoodFantasy.com
Recipe for these apple pockets has two main steps:
- Getting the filling ready (where you need to mash up apples, strawberries and make them tender on heat).
- Use this filling of fruits in the pockets, and baking.
Below is the step by step recipe for preparing these apple and strawberry pockets, parcel or pastry (whatever you may like to call it).
Apple and Strawberry Pockets
- 3 Apple Medium Size – Peeled and Chopped
- 10-12 Fresh Strawberries Chopped into 4 Pieces
- 2 Tablespoon Raisins
- 4 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Puff Pastry Sheet
- First of all, heat butter in a pan over high heat. Once melted, add chopped apples and saute for 3-4 minutes. Now add strawberries, raisins and sugar and saute for 5-7 minutes till the fruits are little tender and all water is dried up.
- Add cinnamon powder and mix well. Switch off the heat and let it cool down.
- Pre-heat the oven (whilst you do above two steps) at 180 degree for 5-7 minutes.
- Divide the pastry sheet into 6 parts and put 2 tablespoon of cooked fruit mixture inn the centre of each part. Now pick the opposite corners together and pinch them together to give a pocket shape and keep them on a baking tray.
- Keep this tray into the oven and Bake these for 20 minutes. After that, take them out, cool a bit and serve.
- Quantity of sugar depends upon the sweetness of fruits and your taste.
- Do not overcook the fruits, we only want them to be little tender.