Rogan Josh, also called as Roghan Josh (रोगन जोश) or Rogan Gosht, is a curry which originated from Persian / Kasmiri region. It is traditionally made using red meat and is red in color, owing to kashmiri chillies. The name Rogan Josh, gets its name owing to “Rogan” meaning red or brown in Urdu and Josh, implies juice, closely related to stew. Rogan Josh is staple food of Kashmiri cuisine.
Lamb Rogan Josh Recipe – Your Food Fantasy
I had been thinking of making rogan josh for a while, but who would have thought that the world will enter the phase of covid-19 and everything will turn upside down. With corona virus and world entering the lockdown, there had been a challenge to get right grocery to make desired food, including this rogan josh.
However, I got a bit lucky to find online delivery slot from a UK super store to get my grocery delivered and as soon as I got my order delivered, I promised my partner that I will guide him with one of the yummiest lamb recipe he had.
If you are a curry lover, and love your meat, this lamb rogan josh recipe is your thing. The key to this recipe is three fold, good marination, good paste (prepared from fresh ingredients) and having patience. As they say, all good things requires patience.
Lamb Rogan Josh – Lamb Recipes | Your Food Fantasy
This recipe is divided into two parts, marinating the lamb / mutton and then cooking it with the special paste. The marinade is simple and does not require any expertise, and lamb is marinated with merely ginger garlic paste, lemon juice and salt. Longer you keep the lamb for marination, juicer will be meat.
Below is the detailed step by step recipe of lamb rogan josh.
Lamb Rogan Josh
FOR THE PASTE
- 2 Tablespoon Tomato Purée
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Coriander Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1/3 Teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1 Tablespoon Garam Masala
- 1/3 Teaspoon Cardamom Powder
FOR THE LAMB
- 1 KG Mutton /Lamb Pieces Cut into 2.5cm cubes (Ideally)
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 3 Tablespoon Yogurt
- 1 Teaspoon Salt As per taste
- 2-3 Bayleaves
- 1 Inch Cinnamon stick
- 4 Cloves
- 1 Onion Large Size, Chopped
- 2 Tablespoon Oil
- 2 Tablespoon Fresh Coriander Leaves For Garnishing
- First of all, marinate lamb pieces in a bowl for 2 hours with ginger garlic paste, lemon juice, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Now, heat oil in a pressure cooker / large pan and brown the lamb in batches and keep aside.
- Combine all ingredients for paste, in a bowl and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves and onion until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Now add the paste (step 3) and fry for another 2 mins.
- Add the lamb, rest of salt and 1.5 cup of water and put the lid on. Cook it for 4-5 whistles of cooker. (Lamb should get cooked by then). After that switch off the heat and let the pressure of cooker release.
- Open the lid and switch the heat on again. Add yoghurt, and mix well and cook further for 10 minutes until you get desired consistency of gravy. Switch off the heat.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with freshly chopped coriander. Serve and enjoy..
- I used pressure cooker to cook this recipe, just to reduce the cooking time. However you can cook it in a pan, and let the lamb cook for at least an hour, on medium heat.
- Pressure cook time too will vary according to your pressure cooker.
- You can make tomato purée by simply cooking chopped tomatoes till they dry out all the moisture.
- If in hurry, you can skip the marination time and can cook directly. Though marination does adds to the flavour.