There are numerous recipes of “Rosemary and Thyme Chicken” around on the internet, however this recipe one is mine, where I have tried to keep absolute simple which even a novice or amateur can make. This recipe does not require huge knowledge of cooking or tons of ingredients. Simple, scrumptious, juicy chicken legs is what you get from this recipe.
Rosemary & Thyme Chicken Recipe | Your Food Fantasy
Ever since my hubby tasted rosemary and thyme chicken in one of Spanish restaurants in Tenerife, he was determined to make it himself. So finally last week, he said he is getting chicken and will like to make it. He asked me if I know the recipe. Sure, I said.
Rosemary and Thyme Chicken legs | Chicken Recipes | YourFoodFantasy.com
I wanted to offer simple recipe for him to make, and asked if he can wait to eat next day or does he wishes to eat same evening. He asked why? Reason was simple, if he can wait, then chicken can be marinated and will give better taste. Learning the reason, he agreed to wait and got his simple marination ready (with lemon juice, turmeric power and salt) and off the marinade goes in fridge for overnight for marination.
For someone who can not wait, I will say don’t worry about marination (you can skip the marination step from the recipe below).
Those who follow Keto diet, can also make this easy chicken and ticks the right boxes there. This is a Keto friendly recipe.
As I have maintained the recipe is simple, once you ready to eat, just an hour before, get your oven going and add chicken and rest of ingredients (Rosemary and Thyme leaves along with Orange slices) in the oven to bake and get a totally delicious meal outside from over after 35-40 mins.
Oven baked Rosemary and Thyme Chicken legs | Easy Chicken Recipes | YourFoodFantasy.com
In case you looking to skip marination, oven baking time will be close to an hour. The lime juice added in marination along with salt, softens the chicken considerably if left over night.
In case you love crispy golden skin on cooked chicken, I will recommend rubbing salt on the chicken surface.
In case you a chicken lover (which you are likely if you reading this post), you may like to check my other chicken recipes, like ketogenic chicken korma, or famous chicken dum biryani, or Indo-chinese style chilli chicken, or ghee rich chicken roast curry, etc
Detailed step by step recipe of “Rosemary & Thyme Chicken Legs” is here.
Rosemary & Thyme Chicken
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 2 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Salt To Taste
- 4 Chicken Legs
- 1 Orange Cut in round slice (See photo)
- 6-7 Thyme Strings
- 6-7 Rosemary Strings
- 1.5 Tablespoon Butter I have used salted, hence adjust quantity of salt if using unsalted butter
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- First clean chicken legs and add turmeric power, salt and lemon juice. Leave this aside to marinate. I will advice to let it marinade for at least 4 hours, however if in rush you can by pass this (though this comes with a compromise on taste).
- When you are ready to make (bake) this, preheat the oven to 180°C. In the oven tray keep the chicken legs.
- Now carefully lay over Thyme and Rosemary strings all over the chicken legs.
- Now liquidity the butter in a cup, add salt and pour over the chicken legs. Use brush or hands to ensure butter is applied all over the chicken pieces. Smear some salt on chicken pieces if you like crispy baked skin.
- Lastly, keep orange slices across the chicken (see pic).
- Put the tray in oven and let it bake for 25 – 30 mins. Check if the chicken is done from inside. You can use a cooking thermometer to do so or simple use a fork and see if it goes through chicken smoothly.
- Take out the chicken and your fragrant, juicy and scrumptious rosemary and thyme chicken is ready. Serve it hot with some cold drinks.
- The duration for baking can vary depending on chicken (and chicken pieces used), It is advised to kindly check if chicken is done before taking chicken out (or avoiding over baking).
- Orange gives a nice zest to the cooked chicken, however if you do not have orange, you can omit it.
- Rosemary has very strong aroma, and will leave your kitchen (and possibly house) with that aroma. So do check if you ok with it.
- Note that the oven time will increase if not marinating.
- You can sprinkle “Chaat masala” on top before serving if you like Indian spices flavour.