Few days ago I got Spinach from local grocery store and was thinking I was make my usual “Palak Paneer” or Spinach Poori, but then one of those nights I felt why not try something different this time and checked if I have any eggs lying around. Yes, I did see a few eggs and I quickly got into action. That’s how my “Spinach Egg Curry” idea originated.
Spinach Egg Curry – Egg Curry Recipe | YourFoodFantasy.com by Meenu Gupta
Every time I curate a new recipe, there is always a thought will this culminate into something scrumptious or will it be a learning lesson 😀 This time around it yielded this yummy curry, which I have not repeated a couple of times already.
The recipe is fairly simple and involves boiling spinach leaves followed by grinding spinach and sautéing in spices and lastly topping with boiled eggs. The key is the combination and quantity of spices (which I have mentioned in my recipe below).
Spinach Egg Curry Recipe | YourFoodFantasy.com
I would like to think that this recipe is protein rich, as it has spinach and egg, both of these key ingredients are good for health.
In case you don’t have spinach (or don’t like spinach), you can try these two following eggs curries, both distinctly different in taste.
Lets get to step by step recipe of Spinach Egg curry
Spinach Egg Curry
- 8 Boiled Eggs
- 1 Onion Big Size – Finely Chopped
- 2 Tomatoes Medium Size – Finely Chopped
- 350 Grams Spinach/Palak Fresh
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1-2 Bayleaves
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1/3 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1.5 Tablespoon Oil
- 1/3 Teaspoon Asafoetida
- First of all, wash the spinach leaves and put them in boiling water for 5 minutes. After that drain the water and put the leaves in cold water. Drain the water again and coarsely grind the leaves to make thick purée. Keep this aside.
- Heat Oil in a pan over medium heat and add asafoetida and cumin seeds. Once they crackle add bay leaves and black cardamom and sauté.
- Add chopped onion and sauté till they are translucent. Add ginger garlic paste to it and sauté till the raw smell fades away. Now add all the spices and chopped tomatoes and sauté till it start leaving oil.
- Now add puréed spinach and mix well. Cut boiled egg into pieces and add into the spinach curry. Sauté for few minutes and switch off the flame. Serve hot with Rice or Roti.
- Don’t over-boil the spinach otherwise it will turn black.
- Don’t grind the spinach too much (don’t make it too thin).