Recently I became active on Instagram and I get to see lot of exciting posts. One thing which caught my attention was the idea of trying out new things which require baking. I thought of baking pizza.
When I decided to bake my pizza, my girl said she wants to eat something different, so I thought let me give a twist to something she loves. She loves Paneer Patties , so this time I decided to make “Paneer Tikka Parcels” (पनीर टिक्का पार्सल), and this was something new for her as well, and I was assured that she will love it.
The procedure to make these paneer tikka parcels is simple, and consists of getting the paneer tikka ready and then placing the baking pizza stone in the cold oven, and letting the stone heat with oven (do not put cold stone in hot oven, it can break the stone), and then using puffed sheets, cutting in small squares, filling the paneer tikka and wrapping it. Lastly, using the handy spatula provided by pizza stone to slide in the paneer tikka parcels (or some may call Paneer Tikka Pockets) into the oven over stone.
When these paneer parcels are almost done, switch off the oven and take out the Paneer tikka parcels and serve 🙂
The crispy surface of these parcel / patties/ pastry with soft cooked paneer oozing million flavours of spices is something which is difficult to resist.
This is almost hassle free cooking and gives a super scrumptious item which you can use as snacks or as starter in your party. Trust me this will win heart of your guests 🙂
Other versions of puffed pastry
In my recipe I have used paneer tikka as filling, however your choices are as many as your taste buds can go. If you are a non-vegetarian, try filling chicken or eggs in case you like eggs.
I have shared the following two recipes in past, you may find them equally interesting:
Serve these paneer tikka patties hot, with ketchup or chutney.
In case you using a baking stone to bake
When you use a baking stone you need to be following few things. I found this article and you too may find it handy. Please note that you do not need to use a baking stone for this recipe and I have used it as I liked the idea of using baking stone which also served as my tray when I served these paneer parcels on the stone.
Now let me explain the step by step detailed recipe of these tasty paneer parcels.
Paneer Tikka Parcels
- 250 Grams Paneer / Indian Cottage Cheese
- 1 Puff Pastry Sheet
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Yogurt
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Mint Leaves You can use fresh too
- 1/3 Teaspoon Roasted cumin seeds
- 1/4 Teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- First of all, cut the paneer into cubes. In a mixing bowl add yogurt, ginger garlic paste and all the spices listed above and mix well to form a smooth paste.
- Add paneer cubes to it and mix well so that they are nicely coated with the marination. Keep aside for 25-30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven along with the baking stone for 10 minutes at 200 degrees.
- While oven is getting warmed up, cut the pastry sheet into 6 equal squares and place equal quantity of marination at centre of every square. Exercise care to not overfill it. Fold them as shown in picture, to give shape of a parcel or pocket.
- Now place them on the stone in oven, carefully using spatula.
- Bake them for 20 minutes at 180 degrees temperature. Take them out and enjoy them hot.
- As we are using pizza baking stone to bake them, we need to heat the stone with the oven and leave the stone to get to a reasonable temperature inside the oven before taking it out.
- Please be careful in the quantity of filling as after baking the bread/ puff sheet, will rise and the filling can go out.
- For the parcels, you can use other stuffing too as per your wish. Check my blog for different variations for it.