Food is undeniably one thing that binds the world. Food is also the same thing which separates the world. Each culture has its influence on its cuisine and if we talk of Indian cuisine itself, it is so widely diverse. South is famous for its curd rice concept, which would be normally frowned up on in north of India. Interestingly this yogurt based Colocasia is from north, so same yogurt is happily accepted in a curry.
Dahi Wali Arbi | Your Food Fantasy
Dali wali arbi is not a common dish at my household, normally I will simply make “Arbi Masala“, but then to get a different taste I sometimes do make this yogurt based dish from this root (arbi) vegetable.
Even though this is yogurt based recipe, you can try this with tomato gravy too. You may like both variants 🙂
This curry goes well with flat indian bread (fulka), and due to its gravy it can be easily enjoyed with rice equally. In case you love yogurt based curries, you may like to try this super duper hit “Punjabi Kadhi“.
When I cook this, I normally pair it with a dry curry too. This makes a perfect meal with chapatti, rice, Dahi arbi and a dry curry, lastly I top it with a sweet from my dessert collection.
Dahi Arbi Recipe | Your Food Fantasy
Below is detailed step by step recipe of Dahi Wali Arbi
Dahi Wali Arbi Recipe
- 250 Grams Arbi (Colocasia)
- 1 Onion Medium Size – Chopped
- 1/4 Teaspoon Asafoetida
- 1 Teaspoon Carom Seeds
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ginger Grated
- 2 Green chillies Finely Chopped
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1/3 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1/3 Cup Yogurt Whisked
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- Wash and boil Arbi in pressure cooker for 2-3 whistles so that they are soft and cooked. Peel off the skin and slice them in rounds.
- Heat oil in a pan and add carom seeds, asafoetida, and chopped onion. Once onion are translucent add grated ginger and chopped green chillies and sauté for a minute.
- Add all the spices except salt and black salt, sauté again for a minute. Add yogurt and stir continuously till it comes to boil.
- Add 1/4 cup water and boiled Arbi pieces and mix well. Let it cook on medium heat for 5 minutes. Add lemon juice and switch off the heat. Garnish with fresh Coriander leaves and Serve hot.
- Enjoy with bread of your choice.
- Boiling time of Arbi May vary as it depend upon the quality of Arbi.
- Always Add Salt after the yogurt mix comes to boil otherwise it may curdle.