Think of biryani and thoughts that crosses mind is of aromatic smell spices and an image of long grain rice in a plate. Normally biryani would also bring images of chicken or lamb biryani in mind. For vegetarians, it would mean the image of vegetable biryani.
I do not eat non-veg however people have told me that anything that is closest to taste of chicken is Jackfruit (Kathal in hindi), hence I decided to try out biryani with jackfruit. So here I am sharing my successful attempt of “Kathal (कटहल) Biryani / Jackfruit Biryani”.
Young jackfruit has a mild flavour and distinctive texture. The ripe fruits are sweet, cooling, laxative, aphrodisiac and tonic. For biryani we must use raw jackfruit.
Below are some interesting facts about Jackfruit:
- The seeds of the fruit are edible. They contain starches and dietary fiber.
- It is one of the rare fruit that is rich in B-complex group of vitamins. It contains good amounts of vitamin B6, riboflavin, niacin and folic acid.
- Flesh of the Kathal is starchy and fibrous. It is a great source of dietary fiber.
- In Hindi and Bangla it is called as ‘Kathal’, in Malayalam ‘Chakka’, in Kannada ‘Halasu’, and in Marathi it is called as ‘Fanas’.
- Jackfruit have a distinctive sweet and fruity aroma. Ripened Jackfruit taste somewhat like banana.
My this recipe of Jackfruit biryani is pretty much inspired by Lamb biryani and Chicken biryani that I have shared here in past. This recipe is divided into two parts, one where Kathal is semi-cooked and so is rice and then cooking them in layers under a sealed pot (also called giving dum) and hence called “dum biryani”.
Jackfruit is a hugely beneficial vegetable. Some of the benefits include, fights wrinkles, helps glowing skin, high in protein, helps in hair growth, Jackfruit has antioxidants, phytonutrients and flavonoid that provide protection from cancer, improves digestion, regulates blood sugar level owing to its high magnesium content.
If you are Jackfruit lover, you may like to try Jackfruit Masala (Kathal ke Sabzi) too.
Below is the step by step recipe of Kathal / Jackfruit biryani.