“Dal Bukhara” ( दाल बुखारा ) is a velvety smooth dal in a tomato based gravy. The world famous Bukhara restaurant of ITC Maurya in Delhi serves the best dal Bukhara. Their Dal Bukhara is just ultimate. I had always fancied trying this at ITC Bukhara (from where this dal originated) ever since I learnt about this dal and I got a chance to try this dal in my recent trip to india. I also sneaked this opportunity to learn dal bukhara recipe from the chef there.
What is dal bukhara
Dal bukhara is a dal / dhal, and it originated in the kitchen of famous Bukhara restaurant of ITC Maurya in Delhi. This dal has got creamy texture to it.
To make Dal Bukhara you need whole urad lentils (black grams or black lentils). Cook this dal slowly for a long duration, in tomato gravy, along with butter and cream to get the creamy texture.
Believe me, each spoon of it gives your tongue a heavenly taste. Despite of ordering other dishes too, we all end up in eating 4 serving of this dal bukhara. This dal bukhara recipe is based on a very simple recipe of cooking it for a long time to get that velvety smooth texture and taste of the dal.
difference between dal bukhara and dal makhni
This dal is fairly close to Dal Makhni, while Dal Bukhara brings out the distinct taste of the whole black lentil by its slow cooking over hours, the Dal Makhani has another ingredient in the form of kidney beans in it. Dal Makhani is associated to Moti Mahal, and Dal Bukhara is attribute of ITC Maurya.
how to make best dal bukhara
- Soak the dal for 6-8 hours.
- Be generous with butter and cream
- Let the dal cook on slow heat, with regular stirring
- Use a heavy bottom pan. A heavy bottom pan will avoid dal getting burnt or sticking to the pan.
- Give smoke to the dal. For doing so heat a piece of charcoal on high flame for 7-8 minutes. Now, keep a small bowl on the top of dal in the pan. Put burnt charcoal into that bowl. Pour 1 teaspoon of oil over it and cover the pan with lid. Let the smoke come out of charcoal and infuse in dal.
this dal bukhara is
- probably one of the best tasting dal
- authentic dal
- winner in the meal
Here is easy to follow Dal Bukhara recipe, make it and enjoy to your heart’s content 🙂
Have this dal bukhara with steamed rice or naan.
ITC Style Dal Bukhara
- 2 Cup Black Lentils / Whole Urad Dal
- 2 Onions Medium Size
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Inch Piece Ginger
- 4 Tomatoes Large Size
- 2 Green chillies
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1.5 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Cream
- 2 Tablespoon Oil
- 3 Tablespoon Butter
- First of all, soak the dal in enough water for about 8 hours. Then pressure cook it with little salt and 2 cups of water for 3-4 whistle of cooker.
- Grind onion and garlic cloves to make a paste. Similarly grind tomatoes, green chillies and ginger piece to make tomato paste.
- Now heat oil in a pan / kadhai and add cumin seeds. Add onion paste to it and saute till it’s golden brown. Add all the spices and sauté again for a minute.
- Add tomato paste and roast till it start leaving oil.
- Add cooked dal into it with 2.5 cups of water. Now reduce the flame to low and let it cook for 50-55 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Now add cream and butter to it and again cover the lid and let it cook for 25-30 more minutes.
- Switch off the heat and serve it hot with bread of your choice.
- For the best result to match exactly like ITC Bukhara, give this dal a smoky flavour. For doing so heat a piece of charcoal on high flame for 7-8 minutes. Now, keep a small bowl on the top of dal in the pan. Put burnt charcoal into that bowl. Pour 1 teaspoon of oil over it and cover the pan with lid. Let the smoke come out of charcoal and infuse in dal.