Your quest for this Indo-Chinese style chicken appetiser ends here with this semi dry chilli chicken. This dish is widely available across the length and breadth of India, however trick lies in making this chilli chicken as you will find in finest restaurants. Mostly this is made with bone less chicken, some prefer using small portions of chicken with bone too. I am sharing here in detail step by step recipe of boneless chilli chicken. Vegetarian alternates are made with paneer, potato, mushroom and tofu.
This is made by boneless chicken (fillets or cubes) which is marinated in soya sauce, chilli sauce and pepper and subsequently deep frying and seasoning again in sauces to get the best Chinese chilli chicken. If you are health cautious, you may opt for grilled chicken pieces. Some people tend to use ajjinomotto or monosodium glutamate (MSG) to give a distinctive flavour, I have refrained using it and still you will find how scrumptious this chilli chicken is.
If you like Indo-chinese food, you may like to try egg fried rice. This soft tender chilli chicken is best when served hot and can be consumed on its own as a starter / snack or with rice in main meal.
Chilli Chicken Recipe
- 300 Grams Boneless Chicken
- 2 Teaspoon Chilli Souce
- 2 Teaspoon Soy souce
- 1 Teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 2 Tablespoon Corn Flour
- 2 Tablespoon All Purpose Flour/ Maida
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Corn Flour
- 1 Medium Size Onion Diced Into Cubes
- 2 Teaspoon Garlic Chopped
- 1/3 Cup Bell Pepper Diced Into Cubes
- 2 Green chillies Slit & Deseeded
- 1 Bunch Spring Onion Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Ketchup
- Oil For Deep Frying
- First of all wash and drain chicken pieces thoroughly. Now in a mixing bowl, add chicken with 1 teaspoon of chilli sauce, 1 teaspoon of soya sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper powder each. Mix it well and keep aside for 1 hour.
- Now, sprinkle corn flour, all purpose flour on it and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep or shallow fry untill they are well cooked.
- Take them out and drain on a kitchen towel.
- In an another pan, take 2 spoons oil from the same oil which we used to fry the chicken pieces. Add garlic and saute for about a minute.
- Add onions, capsicum, spring onions, and green chilies and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add remaining soya sauce, Chilli sauce and ketchup. Add the fried chicken and mix well. Add remaining salt and pepper powder too. In case it looks too dry, sprinkle little water. Saute on high flame for 2 to 3 minutes. Switch off the flame.
- Serve hot chilli chicken hot with fried rice or noodles.
- You can skip using tomato ketchup if you doesn’t like little sweet taste.
- You may use paneer, tofu or other veg variants in case you prefer veg meal.
- Exercise care to not cook on high heat and long duration, your chicken may become chewie.