I have been bought up in a sleepy town in India and during those days (late eighties), I had barely heard of Baby corn, but then I learnt about this vegetable when I moved to metro city. A few people get confused these as corn grown on miniaturised corn plants, but Baby corn ( बेबी कॉर्न, young corn, cornlettes, baby sweetcorn, mini corn, or candle corn in Thai) is actually just regular corn that has been plucked before its matured. Mostly its used in stir fry dishes. I have tried to make baby corn satay, continue reading for step by step recipe.
Baby corn Satay | Baby corn Recipe | YourFoodFantasy.com
Let’s understand some nutritional value of baby corn. Baby corn is low in calories, and has less carb when compared with normal corn. Baby corn has huge fibre contents, which is good for lowering risk of heart diseases and type 2 diabetes. A 1/2-cup serving offers 4 percent of the daily value for vitamin A and iron, and 2 percent of the daily value for vitamin C. All in all its a healthy vegetable.
Baby corn Satay Recipe | YourFoodFantasy.com
Baby corn satay is simple recipe, which is simply marinating baby corn and then shallow frying on tava or pan. For those who like to use Oven can do so in oven too with no oil.
Baby corn Satay | Baby corn Recipe – YourFoodFantasy.com
Let’s get to the step by step recipe now:
Baby Corn Satay
- 200 Grams Baby Corn
- 3 Tablespoon Yogurt
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder As per taste
- 1 Teaspoon Salt As per taste
- 1 Teaspoon Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder Optional
- 1 Teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/3 Teaspoon Carom Seeds
- 1 Tablespoon Corn Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- Oil For cooking as required
- First thing to be done is preparing marinade. For this, in a bowl add yogurt, turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt, garam masala, ginger garlic paste, carom seeds, and corn flour and prepare the marinade.
- Wash and keep baby corn aside.
- Add baby corn into the marinade prepared on step 1, and mix it thoroughly.
- Keep the marinated baby corn aside for 4 hours by wrapping with cling film. The longer you keep, better the result. We want marinade to seep well into the core of baby corn.
- If you have kept marinated baby corns in fridge, bring it to room temperature (ideally), keep a tava or pan on low heat. Add some oil (just enough to cook it and not deep fry). Add baby corns the heated pan and let it cook for couple of mins.
- Keep turning these baby corns, else you they may get burnt. Check one baby corn if its cooked well to the core.
- Your perfect starter is ready. Serve it hot by inserting skewers or with out it.
- Adding lemon juice in marination, gives nice tangy taste and also fastens the marination process.
- Do exercise care when cooking, as there is always a risk of over cooking / burning baby corns.
- You can sprinkle some “chat masala” while serving.