There were days when I had a negative image of Mushroom, however when I started living in metro cities and saw clean edible mushroom, with all hesitation I tried mushroom in an Indian restaurant. That was an eye opening experience and ever since then I have been a fan of mushroom based dishes. Now that I live in UK, you can find Chicken Tikka Masala in every corner, however I have struggled to find mushroom version of tikka masala in any restaurant in UK.
Here I am sharing “Mushroom Tikka Masala” (मशरूम टिक्का मसाला), as I make, it is a nice exotic dish for all those who love to eat mushroom. It is a delicious thick gravy recipe which has grilled mushrooms.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Marination time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Button mushrooms – 300 grams
- Yogurt – 2 tablespoon
- Gram flour/ Besan – 1.5 tablespoon
- Ginger-Garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/3 teaspoon
- Kashmiri red chilli powder – 1/3 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
- Onion – 2 medium size
- Tomato – 3 medium size
- Green chillies – 2
- Grated Ginger – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/3 teaspoon or as per your taste
- Red Chilli powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Fresh cream – 4 tablespoon
- Kasuri Methi – 1 tablespoon
- Oil – 3 -4 tablespoon
Wash and pat dry mushrooms. Dry roast gram-flour for 3-4 minutes on medium heat. Chop Onions, tomatoes and green chillies and keep aside.
Now, in a mixing bowl add everything listed under marination category of ingredients. Mix well and coat the mushrooms well with the marinade. Keep this aside for 1 hour.
After being marinated for an hour, put a Pan / kadhai on medium flame and heat oil in it. Transfer the marinated mushrooms to it and sauté them till the marinate coating over mushroom is nice golden colour. It will take up to 8-10 minutes to get that golden colour on medium flame. Take them out and keep aside.
In the same Oil, add bayleaves and then add chopped onions and sauté till they are translucent. Now add Grated ginger and chopped green chillies and sauté again for a minute.
Add Coriander powder, Turmeric powder, Chilli powder and salt and sauté again for few seconds. Add chopped tomatoes and cook till they are mushy. Switch off the flame and let it cool for few minutes.
- You can bake marinated mushrooms instead of sautéing. Just place them on a baking tray and bake them for 20-25 minutes on 180 degree temperature.
- You can also add some cashews while sautéing Onions to make the gravy much richer.