When you hear Kejriwal, rightly or wrongly, you get an image of Arvind Kejriwal. Surely am miles away from any politics, but have built a soft corner for Kejriwal….ummm…Eggs Kejriwal to be precise 🙂 During my visit to “Soda bottle opener wala” restaurant in India I saw “Eggs Kejriwal” in menu, I felt, I must try out to see what that is, and was pleasantly surprised to see its Cheese, Egg and Chilli Sandwich. Subsequently when back in London, I recently visited “Dishoom” restaurant in London, and I saw Eggs Kejriwal and tried that again. Basic recipe at both “Soda bottle Openerwala” as well as “Dishoom”, was similar with minor variation. This led me to try out the “Eggs Kejriwal Recipe” myself .
Preparation time: 7-8 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Before I jump into recipe, lets go and explore the story behind this dish. How it got its name “Eggs Kejriwal”? This is not an imaginative dish. Eggs Kejriwal is for real. The fact remains that this recipe Eggs Kejriwal was invented in Southern Mumbai at the Willingdon Sports Club. There used to be a man named Mr. Devi Prasad Kejriwal who liked eggs, however he had a strict vegetarian family. Some people from India will be able to relate how much taboo it can be to eat egg in a “strict vegetarian family”. Mr Kejriwal was a loved by the club and since he couldn’t get his favourite eggs at home, he had it in the club and that too his way. It was very simple recipe… a toast and a half fried egg sprinkled with spicy green / red chillies /black pepper, as he liked spicy food.
The version that one gets in “Soda bottle openerwala” or “Dishoom” is a little refined version which has cheese, onion and tomatoes. Lets get to the recipe of this delicious “Eggs Kejriwal”, which can be great breakfast recipe or served as evening snack.
- Thick Bread slice – 4
- Eggs – 4
- Cheese slices -4
- Onion – 1(medium size)
- Tomato – 1(big size)
- Green chillies – 2
- Chopped Coriander leaves – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – 1/3 teaspoon + 1 pinch OR as per your taste
- Black Pepper – 1/6 teaspoon + 1 pinch
- Oil – 1.5 teaspoon
- Butter – 1.5 tablespoon
- First of all, chop onion, tomato and green chillies to make our onion tomato salsa. Heat oil in a pan and add in the finely chopped onions and saute for a minute. Now add chopped tomato, chopped chillies, pepper powder and the salt. Saute again for a minute and switch off the flame. Add in the chopped coriander leaves. Mix it well.
Now, to make the fried egg, heat a nonstick pan and gently break one egg in the centre, and let it cook for a minute. You can have half fry, but If you don’t like runny yolk, then flip it and cook it from both the sides, once egg is cooked, take it out gently and keep it aside.
Now to toast a bread, place a bread slice on the same pan and apply some butter over it. Place a cheese slice over it and cover the pan with lid for a minute so that cheese melt a little bit.
Switch off the flame. Now spread some salsa over melted cheese and gently put the fried egg on top of it. Sprinkle salt and black pepper. Likewise do this on other three slices.
Eggs Kejriwal is ready to be served.
- Don’t cook the onions for salsa for long. We only want to saute the onions for just a minute so as to get rid of Onion’s harsh raw smell and taste. Similarly, don’t cook after adding tomatoes to it for long else they will turn mushy.
- If you think that your egg will not be perfect round while cooking, try cooking it either in cookie cutter ring or you can use an onion ring too.
- You can add more to this as per your taste and experiment. E.g. Why not add Avacado bits on top?