Palak paneer (पालक पनीर) is a vegetarian dish which originates from the Punjab region of northern part of India. Soft Paneer cubes simmered in not so spicy spinach gravy make this recipe a dish full of nutrients. This recipe is an example of nutrition packed meal, thanks to spinach and paneer. Who says veg food does not have proteins?
Preparation Time : 25 minutes
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
Serving : 5
I make paneer at home and there is nothing that can beat the freshness and softness of homemade paneer.
In case you are paneer lover, you may like to explore some of these paneer recipes too:
- Palak Paneer Paratha
- Shahi Paneer
- Kadai Paneer
- Achari Paneer
- Paneer Bhurji
- Paneer Puff Patties
- Paneer Tikka
- Masala Paneer
- Paneer Potato Cutlet
- Chilli Paneer
- Spinach / Palak leaves – 300 grams
- Paneer – 250 grams (cut into 1.5 inch cubes)
- Onion – 1 medium sized (finely chopped)
- Tomatoes – 3 medium sized (roughly chopped)
- Green chillies – 2
- Ginger – 1 inch Cube
- Cumin Seeds – 1.5 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1.5 teaspoon
- Garam Masala – 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida / Heeng – 1/4 teaspoon
- Oil / ghee – 1.5 tablespoon
- Grated Paneer – 1 tablespoon
- Dried Red chilli – 1-2
- First of all wash the spinach leaves thoroughly in water and drain the water.
Boil 4 cups of water in a pan and once it starts boiling, add spinach leaves to it. After 5 minutes take out the leaves and immediately put them in ice cold water. This step is necessary so that spinach leaves retain its green colour. After 2-3 minutes drain the leaves in a colander so that all the water drains out.
3. Transfer these leaves to a blender jar and blend them to make a smooth puree without adding any water. Transfer this puree to a bowl and keep it aside.
4. In the same Jar, add chopped tomatoes, green chillies and ginger cube. Blend to make a fine paste of it.
5. Take a Pan / Kadhai and put it on medium heat. Add oil to it and once oil is warm, add asafoetida and cumin seeds to it. When they are brown, add chopped Onion to it and saute till its golden brown in colour. Now add all the spices and saute again for a minute.Add Tomato paste at this stage and roast till it starts oozing oil.
6. Add spinach puree and add about 1/2 cup of water to it. Simmer the heat and let it boil for 6-8 minutes. Add Paneer cubes and again cook it for 5-6 minutes more. Switch off the flame.
7. Palak Paneer is ready. Transfer this onto a serving bowl and garnish with grated paneer and dried Red chillies. Serve this with rice or naan.
- You can substitute Paneer with Tofu for a vegan option.
- You can shallow fry the paneer cubes before adding them into the gravy.
- Do not blanch spinach leaves for more than 5 minutes otherwise they will loose all their nutritional value.