Moong Dal Halwa (मूंगदाल का हलवा) is a classic north indian recipe which hails from Rajasthan and is relished during the winter months. It is often prepared for auspicious occasions i.e. festivals. Having said that, it’s a must have dessert in north indian weddings in winter season. It takes a lot of time and patience to prepare this Moong Dal Halwa, however, the outcome is worth every penny of hard work. Lets get to detailed step by step recipe of Moong Dal Halwa.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 75 minutes
- Dhuli (Washed) Moong dal/Split green gram lentil (skinless) – 1.5 cup/200 grams
- Ghee / Clarified Butter – 1.5 cup/200 grams
- Mawa / Khoya (Dried whole milk/thickened milk)- 3/4 cup or 75 grams
- Milk – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1.5 cup (Varies as per your taste)
- Saffron / kesar – few strands
- Cashews – 10-12
- Raisins – 10-12
- Green cardamom powder – 1/2 tablespoon
Wash the moong dal and soak it in 1.5 cup of water for overnight for at least 4-5 hours. Take out the moong dal from water and grind it coarsely without adding water. Remember not to grind too fine. Warm the milk and soak saffron strands in it.
Now heat a non stick frying pan/kadhai and put ghee and moong dal in the frying pan. Dal doesn’t stick to the bottom if we cook it in non stick pan which makes the stirring job little easier. Saute the dal for at least 45-50 minutes until its properly cooked and becomes golden brown in colour. Once its properly cooked it will start loosing ghee in the pan.
Simultaneously heat another pan and add sugar and 1 cup of water to make syrup. switch off the flame once sugar is all dissolved.
Either grate or crumble the khoya with your hands and add it to the roasted dal and mix well. Now add sugar syrup and saffron milk and mix well. Keep stirring until you get the halwa of your desired consistency.
Add cardamom powder, cashews and raisins and mix. switch off the flame and garnish with some saffron strands.
Enjoy it hot…
- The Dal should be roasted on low flame for all the time otherwise it would be brown soon without evenly cooked.
- This Halwa can be made in larger quantity and can be stored in refrigerator for several weeks. Just add a little milk to the halwa before reheating it.
- You can adjust the amount of sugar depending upon your taste.