Bharwa Baingan (भरवां बैंगन) or Stuffed Eggplant is a great side dish which tastes heavenly without use of much oil. If you have some unexpected guests for lunch/dinner, this is a quick dish to prepare and impress your guests with your cooking skills.
Prepration time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Eggplant/Baby Aubergines/Baigan : 8-10
- Onion – 1 medium sized
- Coriander Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Fennel powder – 1/2 tablespoon
- Roasted cumin(slightly coarse) – 1.5 teaspoon
- Amchur/Anardana powder – 1 Teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Black pepper powder – 1/3 teaspoon
- Garam masala – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or according to your taste
- Oil – 1.5 tablespoon
- Chopped Green coriander for garnishing
First of all wash and pat dry all the eggplants. Now make slit in them one horizontally and one vertically making a + sign in them. Please refer to the picture below. Chop the onion.
Now take a bowl and mix all the spices listed above and mix well. Now with the help of a spoon or butter knife stuff this mix masala into the slits of eggplants. Stuff all the eggplants like this. Keep the leftover masala aside.
Take a wide Pan/Kadhai and heat oil in it and then add onion. Sauté till they turn light brown. Now add the leftover masala and sauté for 1 minute. Finally place the eggplants one by one into the pan/Kadhai.
Keep the flame to low-medium and cover the Pan/Kadhai with lid and cook it for 7-8 minutes. Now open the lid and turn the eggplants. Cover it and let it cook it for 6-7 minutes.
Once its all cooked, switch off the flame. Garnish with Chopped green coriander and serve.
Enjoy with bread of your own choice.
- Don’t overstuff the masala while stuffing the eggplants. Just 1/2 teaspoon to each eggplant is more than enough.
- Just slit the eggplants to their 3/4 size. this way they will not break while cooking.
- Restrain from adding any water whilst cooking and turn them very softly. This way they will not turn mushy and the masala will remain intact.
- You can add 1/2 teaspoon of either mint or kasuri methi to the masala while stuffing the eggplant. this gives an added extra flavour to the bharwa baingan.