Puffed potato patties (पफ आलू पैटी) is a wonderful snack option for the days that you want something substantial and you can’t wait very long for it to be made!! This is one snack which can be consumed during anytime of the day and can be filling too. Hopefully my simple to follow recipe will guide you to make it ourself, as per your own taste. I grew up in a sleepy town where there used to be hardly 1-2 bakery and used to wait for occasion to get this, however now with the ease of oven available in every second home, this is something which anyone can make.
These puff patties or pastry as some one may call is so common at my household that I tend to make these every now and then. The reason these are such a hit at my home is because not only we as adults enjoy, my daughter swears by it. These are fairly filling too. One patty is good to fill me during snack time.
Below is the detailed step by step recipe of vegan puff patties.
Vegan Puffed Patties
- 3 Boiled Potatoes Big size
- 1 Onion Medium size
- 1 Puff Pastry Sheet Choose one which is Vegan (can use non-vegan too if not making Vegan food)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/3 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 Teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- Oil For brushing
- 1 Tablespoon Oil For making stuffing
- Chop the onion into small pieces and take a pan and add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds to hot oil, once seeds crackle add chopped onion and saute till onion turns brown.
- Now add all the spices as listed in ingredients, as well as boiled potatoes (mash them before adding) and mix well.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees for 10mins. Take the vegan puff pastry sheet and cut into six equal squares. Now add the potato mix to each square, ensuring its not too much stuffed nor too less stuffed. Idea is that you should be able to fold the sheet and give a shape of parcel. If you add too much filling, while you bake, potato will come out, and you do not want that to happen.
- Place all the parcels on the baking tray at 180 degrees for roughly 15mins.
- After baking you will see the patties as seen in the image.
- Now take the tray out from oven and serve hot. Note that patties will be really hot, so exercise care.
- Ensure that the patties are sealed properly before putting them in oven, else the stuffing will come out and destroy the look of patties as well as the stuffing will get roasted too.
- I have used vegan pastry sheet, but you can use non-vegan variants (as per your need).
- Be careful when eating one fresh out of oven. The crust may seem like its not too hot but stuffing will be piping hot.