Potato is widely eaten food across the globe. For someone who is fasting Potato offers good Carohydrates, and Potassiam. I am firm believer that one who is fasting does not need to eat boring usual Potato stuff, rather I like offering delicious food. Though I made this Potato Halwa (आलू हलवा / Aalo Halwa) during fast, by all means one can eat anytime, and must not restrict to fasting season.
Aaloo ka halwa or potato pudding is a dessert mostly eaten in fasts and hails from Marwari cuisine. This is really an easy to make sweet dish which one can make in jiffy with minimum ingredients from pantry.
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 10-15 minutes
Serving : 4-5
- Boiled potatoes – 4-5 medium sized
- Sugar – 1/2 cup or 100 grams
- Clarified butter/Desi ghee – 4 tablespoon
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Chopped cashews – 2 tablespoon (Optional)
- Raisins – 2 tablespoon (Optional)
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Saffron – few strands (Optional)
Soak the saffron strands in lukewarm milk. Grate the boiled potatoes and then mash them. Heat butter/ghee in a pan and add mashed potatoes to it. Roast it on medium flame for 5 minutes.
Now add sugar and saffron milk to it and again roast it .
Once the mixture start leaving edges and come together add chopped cashews, raisins and cardamom powder.
Mix them well and after 1-2 more minutes of roasting, switch off the flame.
Your Aalo halwa/pudding is ready to be served🙂
- Always cook this on low to medium flame otherwise potatoes will turn brown of cooked on high heat.
- As potatoes are little sweet on their own, you can adjust amount of sugar according to your taste.
- You can use any nuts of your choice other than cashews or raisins.