Chilli paneer (चिल्ली पनीर) tops the list when it comes to cook an Indo-Chinese dish. Not only does it is relished for its unique flavour, it can be served as a starter or can make a great side dish for fried rice or noodles.
It is believed to originated from a small Chinese community in Kolkata, and now has been widely adopted in India.
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
- Paneer – 2 cup or 500 grams(cut into small cubes)
- Cornflour – 2.5 tablespoon
- Maida/All purpose flour – 1.5 tablespoon
- Bell pepper/capsicum – 2-3(cut into cubes)
- Chopped garlic – 1 tablespoon
- Black pepper powder – 1/3 teaspoon
- Salt – As per your taste
- Oil – 3 tablespoon
- Ginger garlic paste – 1.5 tablespoon
- Soya sauce – 1 tablespoon Red chilli sauce – 1/3 tablespoon
- White Vinegar – 1/2 tablespoon
- Tomato ketchup – 1 tablespoon
- Green chillies – 2-3(slit)
Chop bell peppers to square pieces, likewise cut onion in large chunks (see pic) and cut paneer into cubes.
Take a mixing bowl and Put 2 tablespoon of cornflour, plain flour, salt, pepper powder, and water and mix it to form a light batter without lumps.
Add the paneer cubes to this and mix well to coat. Now heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and shallow fry the paneer pieces until they are light golden in colour. Drain them onto a kitchen towel to soak excess oil.
Now in the same pan, add one tablespoon oil and when it’s warm add ginger and garlic paste. Sauté until the raw smell goes off.
Now add cubed capsicum and cook for 3-4 mins until the capsicum turns a bit soft and crunchy on same time. Add soy sauce, chilli sauce, vinegar, tomato ketchup, salt and black pepper. Mix it and sauté.
Take 1 cup of water and add 1/2 tablespoon of cornflour to it and make a thin paste. Gently pour this into the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes whilst sautéing.
Add the paneer pieces and sauté for 1 minute and then turn off the flame.
Garnish with slit chillies and serve hot.
1) The gravy will get thick once cooled, so don’t cook much after adding paneer.
2) You can adjust the sweetness and tanginess as per your taste by adjusting the amount of vinegar, chill sauce and ketchup.