Dal makhani is a extremely popular dish originating from the northern part (Punjab) of India. This was indeed a staple for in undivided india prior to partition. The primary ingredients in dal makhani are whole black lentil (urad) and red kidney beans (rajma) . Owing to its rich texture and presence of butter, this dal takes times to digest. Since this has lentils and kidney beans, it has high protein content. Below is the “step by step pictorial recipe of Dal Makhni” of how I make it. Hoping you and your guests will love it.
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Cook time – 40 minutes
Serving – 5-6
- Whole Urad dal – 1 cup
- Red Kidney Beans – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 2 medium(finely chopped)
- Tomatoes – 3 medium(chopped)
- Green chilli – 1-2( finely chopped)
- Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tablespoon
- Dried fenugreek leaves / Kasuri methi – 1 tablespoon
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch long
- Black cardamom – 2-3
- Green cardamom – 2-3
- Cloves – 2-3
- Coriander powder – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – according to taste
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Unsalted butter – 2 tablespoon
- Oil – 2 tablespoon
First of all soak the whole Urad dal and kidney beans in 4 cup of water overnight or 8 hours. After that pressure cook them with a pinch of salt for 3-4 whistles so that the dal is soft and mushy.
Take cloves, cinnamon stick, green and black cardamom and dry roast them in a pan. Once its roasted grind them to make a semi coarse masala powder.
Now take a kadhai or pan and put it on medium flame. Add 2 tablespoon oil to it. Add cumin seeds, once they crackle, add chopped onion and fry them till they become translucent. Add ginger garlic paste and sauté till raw smell fades away.
Now add chopped tomatoes and cover the lid for 5 minutes.
Open the lid and add the grounded masala powder, red chilli powder, salt and coriander powder. Now roast this mixture until it leaves oil. Switch off the flame and when cold enough, grind this to a smooth paste.
Transfer this paste in the kadhai and add boiled dal to this mixture now with 2-3 cup of water. Mix it properly and now let it cook for 10 minutes on lower flame. After 10 minutes add butter and again let it cook for 15 minute.
Now add Kasuri methi and cook for 5 minutes more. Your tasty dal makhni is ready to serve.
- You can put 2 tablespoon of heavy cream as well in the dal while cooking to give it a smoothly texture.
- After putting water, cook it on low flame for longer time. The longer the dal cooks, more tastier it would be.