Sabudana khichdi (साबूदाना खिचड़ी) or sago khichdi is also a food which is mainly eaten on fasting days, and is hugely popular in northern part of India. Having said that nothing stops one to have this as snack on any day.
There are two type of sago in market medium and large seeds. I use medium seeds to make khichdi. These are sold with the name of Tapioca in market.
Sago is rich in carbohydrate and has very little protein, vitamins, or minerals. Addition of peanuts to sabudana khichadi adds to the protein content, making it a more balanced meal.
Prep time : 15-20 minutes
Cooking Time: 8-10 minutes
1)Sabudana : 1 cup
2)Boiled potato : 2(medium size)
3)Roasted Peanut: 2 tablespoon
4)Rock Salt / Sendha Namak : 1/2teaspoon or as per your taste
5)Black pepper:1/4 teaspoon
6)Cumin Seed: 1/2 teaspoon
7)lemon juice: 1 teaspoon
8)sugar : 1 teaspoon
9)chopped coriander for garnish.
- Wash sabudana and soak it with very little water for 2-3 hours.
4. Now add boiled potatoes and green chill and sauté them for one minute.
5. Add salt, pepper and sugar first and then sabudana and roasted grind peanut. Mix them properly and cover it with lid for 5 minutes.
6. Now add lemon juice and mix, follow this by garnishing of chopped coriander. Sago khichdi is ready to serve.
- Soaking of sabudana is little tricky. Always soak it with very little amount of water after washing.If water content would be high, sabudana will be mushy and khichdi would be sticky. Please never soak it for more than 3 hours.